As you can see, my Easter has involved A LOT of food. The hot cross bun is homemade by my wonderful father, the bacon sandwich was made by me at 5 past midnight as part of a family tradition and I made the creme egg brownie that seems to have featured on everyones facebook! It didn't turn out as well as I hoped but hey there is always next time! By the way the random picture of my bed is today's nap spot. I had an incredible 40 minute nap (influenced by last night's alcohol-fuelled events) and felt the need to take a picture due to it being so delicious! I hope you all had a wonderful Easter season, did yours involve a lot of food too? Did you do any baking? Did you go away anywhere?
Sunday, 31 March 2013
Friday, 29 March 2013
The lovely Sarah over at The Good Life of Sarah has nominated me for The Liebster Award which is just delicious of her! She's got a gorgeous blog and I highly advise you get over there, check it out and follow her!
Liebster Blog Award Rules:
1. Share 11 things about yourself.
2. Answer the 11 questions that your tagger has given you.
3. Choose 11 fellow blogs to nominate. The nominees must have under 200 followers and be told in a comment on their blog.
4. Think of 11 questions to ask the bloggers you have nominated.
5. Thank the person that nominated you and link back to their blog.
11 Facts About Me
1. I will never get bored of hummus, I could eat it all day.
2. I'd like to find an old run-down farmhouse and renovate it myself.
3. I've read an incredible amount of Enid Blyton books.
4. Due to my mother being born in Newcastle, brought up in Birmingham, moving to Manchester then London then down south, she has a sort of neutral with northern undertones accent. This means I've picked up various sayings and accentuate weird bits in words. Particularly when I'm surprised.
5. I was born in London and love everything about the city. There are so many undiscovered things waiting for me!
6. I currently live in the countryside and though want to spend my twenties in London, do eventually want to settle in the sticks! My heart is split into city and country.
7. I strongly identify with Anne Shirley from 'Anne of Green Gables.' Especially her hair.
8. When sitting next to a friend, I like to hold on to them. Like grab a bit of their t-shirt or link little fingers with them.
9. I'm an odd combination of person, I'm laid back and yet worry frequently. Low-maintenance with neurotic tendencies?
10. I climbed Ben Nevis in 2011 and it was one of the hardest yet rewarding experiences of my life.
11. At Uni, I barely ever worked in my room. I went to the library usually spent all night, I once stayed there for over 24 hours. I had a fantastic nap after I completed my project!
1. Do you have unusual quirks, if so what are they?
Definitely. I check the door lots of times by pressing the handle and looking at my hand just to make sure it's locked. I tap my nose when I'm thinking hard. I can't eat peanut butter sandwiches without crushing them...the list is endless!
2. Where did you last travel abroad and what was the best experience you had there?
I went to Paris in February with my parents and it was phenomenal! My best experience...hard question. Definitely seeing the current Shakespeare & Company, it's everything you could ever want in a bookshop and I look forward to taking my children there to see the note I left. The old S&C was amazing too as even though it's not there anymore, the fact that I stood exactly where all the greats such as Hemingway, Fitzgerald, Joyce, Pound etc. stood was overwhelming. As was Les Deux Magots, I sat in Hemingway's regular seat, his regular seat!
3. What situation do you see yourself in 10 years time?
Wow, big question. Hopefully further in my career. I currently work for a charity and I'd like to carry on that way. It would be nice to be abroad though. I would also like to be married but we'll see what happens.
4. Which shop is the majority of your wardrobe from?
New Look. It's the only decent shop in my town and it's also massive! I have other things from H&M and the odd bit from Topshop but New Look is probably the big one.
5. Trousers or skirts? And why?
Skirts. Everytime. I haven't worn jeans nor really trousers (apart from when I was a waitress) since 2009. I live in leggings. I'm quite short and not as slim as I'd like to be and I just think I look rubbish and stubby in trousers.
6. What is your favourite beauty product?
Probably my Chanel lipstick. I love Chanel and I love red lipstick. It was a present too :)
7. If your wardrobe could only be from one shop, money no limits, what shop would it be?
Honestly I don't know. I don't love shops, I love particular items. I like how basic and elegant H&M stuff is and Zara too.
8. What job did you want to do as a child?
Doctor by day, Actress/Singer/Dancer by night.
9. Why did you start blogging?
I love computers, I love the internet and I love the large blogging community. I wanted a piece of the pie. Also it's very therapeutic, equally brilliant to find wonderful lovely people who are interested in the same things you are!
10. What would you describe your style as?
It has dashes of preppy, a little hippy and a little off the wall. Claryle.
11. What is your favourite season?
WINTER. I'm obsessed and I mean, obsessed, with Christmas. Check out my christmas blog at http://thatgingerbreadfeeling.tumblr.com
1. If you could only wear one colour in your wardrobe for the rest of your life, which colour would you choose?
2. Out of all the people you know, be they celebrities or real, who would you swap lives with for a day?
3. Which band do you think sums up your current/past teenage years?
4. Which film and/or book could you watch/read over and over again?
5. What is your essential beauty product?
6. What is the best beauty tip you have been told?
7. Name three things that make you happy and 3 things that make you sad.
8. You've just won a million pounds, aside from savings, bills etc, what is the first thing you buy?
9. What is the weirdest thing you have ever eaten?
10. Which country would you really like to visit?
11. Are you an early bird or a night owl?
Thank you for reading!
If you've read my '25 Facts About Me,' you will see that no.6 talks about how I suffer from chronic sinusitis and other general pollen, dust, bleurgh allergies. As a child, I commonly caught colds but when I got older, it got worse and I ended up having to go to hospital for a more thorough examination. They did a number of allergy tests on me and I came up positive for every single one, they then found out I had polyps in my nose. Nasal polyps are abnormal tissue growths that grow inside the nasal passages and sinuses. This explained my recurring cold, my slightly nasally voice (whilst speaking and singing) and why there was a constant need for Kleenex in my house. My parents and I went through all the regimes, we bought a new vacuum cleaner, froze my teddies (I was 11 and still had them) and made sure I took medication regularly. I wasn't restricted any food as the allergy tests didn't show any food allergies up though the doctor said that I could be allergic to certain types of food but there was no point cutting anything out of my diet as I'd probably made myself tolerant. I was supposed to have an operation but the hospital lost (!!!) all my information and in the end I just completed my medication and went on with my life. For most of my teenage life, I was okay, I still was nasally but I wasn't plagued as such. University was the same, a bit bunged up but generally okay....this could have been the alcohol clouding it though! However, since I've moved home and started working a 9-5 job, my allergies and sinusitis have creeped back up and some days can completely knock me for 6. I sneeze every morning and evening, my eyes can water if I'm near anything with a strong scent, when I'm tired or had a long day, my chest gets quite tight and my sinuses (particularly the right one) hurt so much sometimes. Now, I wouldn't say they stop me from living my life, I can still do my job, I can still see my friends, I can do everything I could before, it's just...well...annoying! I thought I'd write this post though to show you how I deal with it and for any others who suffer from similar problems. I try to exercise and keep my diet relatively healthy, mayonnaise and dairy are bad for your sinuses (unfortunately they are my favourite things in the world) so I have to restrict myself there. The picture above shows you my essentials for being a girl with nasal problems. Before you ask, my friends find my nasal issues a great amusement...though not when I've slept over at their house and kept them awake with my snoring!
NeilMed Sinus Rinse is a product I bought from Amazon (though have later discovered that it is available at Boots Pharamacy), I don't use this regularly though I really should however it completely rinses out your sinuses and I'd definitely recommend it if you're having a bad sinus day. You use warm water and a sachet of powder and spray it up your nostrils. I don't recommend it as a first date activity.
Otrivine Nasal Spray is definitely an essential. Whenever I feel my allergies coming on, I give myself a quick spray and though at first I feel very bunged up, it does keep the symptoms at bay. You have to catch yourself at a good time though, make sure you're not too far gone! This can be purchased at any Pharmacy.
Neal's Yard Inhalation Oil is something I use when I'm having problem with my breathing. It clears your head and makes you feel a lot clearer. I love Neal's Yard products. I use their coconut oil for my eczema. Yes I have eczema too, though it's very mild. It only comes in small patches in random places and unless I point it out, people don't really see it. Luckily, it's places no-one would usually look such as my inner thigh, or a patch on my arm.
Honey is every sinus sufferer's dream. I can't tell you the amount of people who have suggested introducing honey into my diet. I don't really like honey on toast or in sandwiches but it's perfect in hot drinks to sweeten them, or in shakes, or as a glaze for both savoury and sweet foods.
Almond/Oat/Coconut Milk is yummy but it doesn't compare to real milk :( I would happily drink a glass of milk every day however due to this being bad for the old sinuses, I have to say no. These are my alternatives.
I also take Piriteze and Benadryl. I use Tiger Balm (tiger-friendly with NO tiger bone in it, thank god they made an alternative) for my head and though it's a little overpowering at first, I completely recommend it. I wear glasses for concentrating due to my right eye straining and quite honestly, I think my right eye strains because my nasal polyp is larger on that side. I'm sure the optician would disagree but hey that's me! My glasses are a great relief to me and whenever I'm tired or headachey, they instantly take some of the strain.
I hope this post has helped those who suffer with nasal problems! Do any of you have any recurring problems that aren't life-threatening but are just annoying? Do you use alternatives to dairy in your diet for other reasons? Do you have any tips? Let me know in the comments below!
Thursday, 28 March 2013
I've been wearing orange on my nails for the last 2 weeks and thought it was time for a bit of a change. Standing in the queue for New Look, I spotted this nail varnish in the colour 'Cafe au Lait' and thought well why not. It goes on nicely but you can tell it's not a high priced nail varnish due to it beging a bit gloopy. I like the colour though and think it will go quite nicely with what I'm planning to wear tonight for cocktails with the girls. I'm glad my cafe au lait isn't really this grey colour though!
I bought two rings today, one is gold and oval shaped but unfortunately my camera point blankly refused to focus hence no close-up picture. This one is silver and in the shape of a cross. I thought it was a bit different and I just really liked it.
I actually bought this a few days ago and already I am in love with it! I have quite big hair, fine but lots of it and hate straightening it. I'm a messy hair kind of girl, if it's not tousled and down, it's up in a messy bun. This spray completely perfects my tousled look. Firm favourite.
I'm a bit of an amateur runner these days and can never resist a stop into Sports Direct for sports supplies. This is perfect for my morning shakes!
Other runners will know that sorting out your iPod can be a right pain, I hate having it bouncing up and down in my pocket. I'm going to give this belt a whirl and see if it's for me!
I just bloody love headphones particularly when they're reduced.
Running shorts...need I explain more?
I loved this shirt from New Look, the materials nice and it's quite oversized which is pretty much my bag. I also have a bit of a thing about elephants.
This is what I wore today, an oversized spotty blouse and though not in the picture, I paired it with blue jodhpurs and an oversized burgundy cardigan.
Have you done any shopping recently? Any tips for running?
Sunday, 24 March 2013
Pre-Order Les Mis on DVD
I have never pre-ordered a DVD in my life but judging that I went to see this film 4 times, I think pre-ordering is an obvious choice for me. I adored this film, I was obsessed with the original stage show and I think it transferred well to the screen. My big criticism was Hugh Jackman's take on 'Bring Him Home' but other than that, I faulted very little. Equally anything Eddie Redmayne is in can do no wrong. From Amazon.
Red Desert Boots
I want...no, need a pair of these boots. I was in Paris, standing in the queue for Louvre tickets and there was a french girl in front of me wearing a faded pink pair of these and I instantly fell in love with them. They're good sturdy boots that I can just throw on for the day. From eBay.
Mac Lipstick in Morange
I've wanted to buy something from Mac for a very long time and seeing as I've recently been promoted, I thought why not treat myself! I'm usually a classic red lipstick girl but I'd like to try something a little different. From Mac UK.
Dermalogica Daily Microfoliant
I received this in my December(?) GLOSSYBOX and it worked wonders. Definitely a product I'm interested in buying full size. I love the powder to liquid system too. From Dermalogica.
Ernest Hemingway T-Shirt
I. Love. Ernest. Hemingway. This t-shirt needs no explanation. It is everything and nothing hurts.
Narnia - The Lampost Ring
I'm very into rings right now and I wanted one that really summed up my personality. Narnia was a big part of my childhood and when I found this ring, I knew I had to have it! From Etsy.
Monu Aromatic Warming Face Mask
Another GLOSSYBOX product, I love doing a face mask and since receiving this, I've used it once or twice a week. Come payday, I'm going to bite the bullet and get it full size, it's great on the skin and leaves your face feeling cleansed, moisturised and soft. From Monu.
Leather Pocket T-Shirt
Spotted this in Stratford Westfields but alas I didn't have enough money at the time. I'm coming for you shirt! From Forever 21.
Saturday, 23 March 2013
Tuesday, 19 March 2013
1. I studied English Literature at University and am usually reading around 3 books at the same time.
2. I haven't worn a pair of jeans since 2009. I think they are incredibly unflattering on me and they're just not my thing.
3. I am very nostalgic (despite never being alive during) for the years between 1900 - 1940 particularly Old Hollywood and the music. I'm pretty sure I was born in the wrong era!
4. I've been dying my hair since I was 16 mainly due to my mother telling me to "never reveal my true hair colour to a man."
5. I'm an only child and have the best parents in the world. I was brought up in an incredibly open family and my parents know me inside and out. To sound completely cliche, they're my best friends.
6. I suffer from chronic sinusitis and general nasal problems resulting in me sneezing multiple times everyday and nasal sprays and allergy drugs being constantly on hand. I'm currently cutting down on dairy heavily to see if it has much of an effect.
7. On nights out, I always wear red lipstick. I usually wear Chanel in the Coromandel shade though I don't take it out as I'm afraid to lose it. I top up during the evening with my Revlon or Yves Rocher lipsticks.
8. I loved being touched on the face particularly if it is by someone with cold hands.
9. Apparently the celebrity I'm most like is Miranda Hart.
10. I'm a complete francophile and one of my goals this year is to watch more french cinema. My favourite french actor is definitely Guillaume Canet.
11. I fractured my wrist two christmases ago falling down the tiniest of steps in a nightclub...I think my high heels may have played a part. When it's cold or I have a restless sleep, my wrist still aches.
12. My favourite books are The English Patient by Michael Ondaatje, A Farewell To Arms by Ernest Hemingway & The Magician's Nephew by C S Lewis.
13. My favourite films are The Shop Around The Corner (1940) & Jeux D'enfants (2003)
14. I have learnt extraordinary things from my Grandparents, they led such interesting lives and grew up in such a developing time. Unfortunately and devastatingly my Mum's parents died in 2005 and 2006 but my Dad's side are still living and are still very active and with it. My Granddad is a professor and was awarded an OBE for services to the development of energy technologies in the UK.
15. I've been singing and playing instruments since I was about 5. When I studied abroad, I taught myself to play the ukulele and set up a ukulele blog. At Christmas, I play a christmas song on the ukulele every single day. I'm currently blogging ukulele videos at http://mwmgok.blogspot.co.uk/, watch my latest video below. I'm a Grade 6 standard singer and can play the piano, ukulele, clarinet and treble and descant recorders.
16. I have a very rubbery face and often try and imitate Donald O'Connor's 'Make Em Laugh' routine from 'Singin' In The Rain.'
17. I'm obsessed with musicals and up until the age of 14, wanted to be an actress and singer on stage. I attended drama & singing classes and Saturday stage school until I was 16.
18. I suppose my style can be defined as preppy but I wear quite a variety of items. My fail safe outfit is a big jumper and a pair of leggings.
19. I love film scores and run a film score tumblr at http://musictomeltto.tumblr.com. The third most played song/piece on my iTunes is Elegy for Dunkirk by Dario Marianelli which is featured in the film, 'Atonement.'
20. I love freckles and, though I do have them on my nose and under my eyes, wish they covered my entire face.
21. I studied for a year abroad in Wilmington, North Carolina. It was one of the best years of my life and I miss it so much. I would love to go back.
22. It sounds a bit arrogant but I'm pretty good at impersonating accents however if there is one accent I can't do, it is Geordie. This is incredibly embarrassing as my Mum's side of the family are from Newcastle and I spent a large amount of my childhood/teenage years with my Geordie-accented Grandparents.
23. I can watch episodes of the 1980s sitcom, 'The Golden Girls,' over and over again. I have up to Season 3 on DVD and will eventually have the full series! I aspire to be Sophia Petrillo when I'm an old lady.
24. I bloody love knees and elbows. They are incredible parts of the body.
25. I love a man with a beard.
Monday, 18 March 2013
Sunday, 17 March 2013
Ended my weekend with a cup of tea but before that....
I went for a delicious pub lunch and before that...
Went to a different pub for a hot chocolate and then watched some bread rise...
The night before that, I watched my friend meet a new companion...
And I drank wine and listened to the very first Now record on a record player...
But the first thing I did was make a ukulele video which you can view at
All in all a great, british countryside weekend - what about you? Did the snow keep you in or did you venture the cold? Is it sunny where you are?
Friday, 15 March 2013
After a long week at work, I love a Friday evening in. No plans, no-one to see, just time with little old me. I'm planning on drinking too much iced tea, reading 'Beloved,' blogging and writing up my piece for the writing competition I'm entering. I've got my playlist on (see below) and I'm getting cosy.
What are you up to tonight? Anything fun? Are you out getting crazy or are you just spending the evening in like me?
Men's Knitted Jumper - New Look
Leggings - Topshop
Leggings - Primark (I wear two pairs of leggings!)
Brogues - Miss Indigo @ TReds
Grey Zipped Hoody - Help for Heroes
Burgundy Vest Top - New Look
Oversized Black Top - New Look
Leggings - Topshop
Leggings - Primark
Moccasins - New Look
Jumper - New Look
Fishtail Dotty Dress - New Look
Grey Woolen Tights - H&M
Boots - New Look
Striped Top - New Look
Burgundy Trouser/Leggings - New Look
Shoes (See below) - Topshop
Wednesday, 13 March 2013
Very slowly, I am getting everything together in my room. The way I see it, with things going well at work right now, if I'm going to remain at home (as in my parent's house) I should really sort myself out with a decent living space. I'm very into candles at the moment, I don't like the main light being on and rarely use it so I have fairy lights stuck everywhere with random candles all over the place. Jars are a current obsession and I'm trying to accomodate left over ones around the cupboard that is my bedroom. The final picture of the clutter around books etc is actually exactly how I want to look. I'm not a tidy person in the slightest and I think it completely sums up my personality. The books in that picture are a very ill representation of how many books there truly are in my bedroom. I have 2 shelves under the top one, another book shelf, 2 boxes, my bedside table made of books and under my bed. I regret nothing.